Coming into this school year I was excited about reaching out to transfer students. Transfers can have a hard time getting plugged into campus life and InterVarsity, so I felt led to try something new by creating a small group aimed at transfers. After one of the leaders stepped off leadership during the summer, we were down to just one leader for the small group, Mallory. I committed to helping her lead the group and coach her until we could raise up a new leader. When school started, we went around, met many transfers and invited them. At our first gathering over 20 people showed up! This was awesome, but was going to be too big to meet weekly in a dorm. So we shared a vision and challenged the group by saying, "We are excited that there are so many of you here, and since there are so many of you, our hope is that in the next couple weeks that we would be able to multiply into two groups, and that some of you would step up to help lead it."
 |
| Me, Kelsey, Mallory, Nick |
Within a week, Kelsey (a returning transfer) and Nick (new transfer) expressed interest in helping lead. So, by the third week of school, we had two transfer small groups, with Nick/Mallory leading one and Kelsey and I leading the other. To be honest, coming into the year, I was hopeful but not certain of how having a transfer small group would go, but more transfers were interested than I imagined, and new leaders are being developed within the group!
No comments:
Post a Comment