Thursday, December 17, 2009

Clothing Drive

In December I met with the group of men I am mentoring, shared a bible passage (Mark 1: 29-38) with them, and asked them, "how can we live out this passage on campus?" Their response was that we should do an on campus clothing drive, so that we can donate those clothes to keep people warm during the winter.

The plan was to meet the following week, for them to each bring a younger student that they were leading, split into pairs, divide up the dorms, and go get clothes. As you can see in the picture, there were eight of us (I took the picture). Two freshmen joined us Elliot (far left) and Erica (the girl in the middle). Elliot and Erica have been very active in the fellowship since starting in college this year.

From a small group of people going around for an hour, we got 10 full bags of donations! I was amazed to see what a little group of people can do. We didn't advertise the drive, make any announcements about it, didn't form a committee to discuss strategies, we just invited people to join us and then did it. It made me wonder what else is possible when we just go and do...

No comments:

Post a Comment