
In the summer, I was able to take a seminary course that did a study trip to Israel. Walking the land of Jesus and the Bible, the scriptures came alive for me in new ways. There were many impactful experiences like walking around the temple area, visiting Ceaserea (Acts 10), and the Sea of Galilee. One morning our class took a boat ride on the Sea; as I looked across the sea, there were no boats visible in any direction. We stopped out in the middle, and besides the waves from our boat, the water was still as could be. As a group did a devotional, worshipped and sat in silence. Not having a strong imagination, I often have a difficult time visualizing scripture, but this made many of the Gospel stories that take place on or near the water feel so real. Specifically, the still water was just like when Jesus calmed the storm (Mark 4: 35-41). Needless to say, it is even more clear to me now that the Bible is not longer just ink on a page, but has geographic and historical grounding. Here is a video that I took of the Sea that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment